As a certified pesticide applicator, you know how often the pest control industry can change. Whether it’s new pesticide products or updated PPE regulations, it seems like there’s always something new to learn.
That’s why New York state requires all applicators to complete specific continuing education (CE) every three to five years.
If this is your first time going through the renewal process — or if you’re an experienced applicator who needs a refresher — here’s how to renew your New York pesticide applicator certification.
NYS Pesticide Applicator Continuing Education Requirements
According to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation’s Bureau of Pest Management, this is how often the following license types need to renew:
- Commercial pesticide applicators and technicians must renew their licenses every three years from the date of issuance
- Private applicators must renew their licenses every five years from the date of issuance
The number of CE credits needed also depends on your license type. Here’s a reference to help you find what you need:
Continuing Education Options
After determining the number of CE credits needed for your license, simplify your recertification by selecting the courses you need.
Certified Training Institute’s online video courses — offered individually or in convenient category bundles — are designed to work around your busy schedule while also covering New York state certification requirements.
Some of our most popular bundles include:
- Commercial Category 3B 10 Credit Bundle – Turf Pest Management
- Commercial Category 7C 8 Credit Bundle – Termite Control
- Private Category 25 10 Credit Bundle – Nursery, Ornamental, & Turf
Note: Core credits count for all categories, but at least 25% of CE credits must be specific to your category during every certification cycle. The remaining 75% can be category specific, core, or any combination of the two.
For example, an applicator on a three-year cycle in Category 7C must earn at least two 7C-related credits, and the remaining six credits can be either 7C-specific, all core, or a combination of both.
If you decide to use us for your CE needs, we’ll take care of the paperwork! After completing your course, our licensing specialists will submit your certificate(s) of completion to the state for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions before starting your recertification? Here are answers to a few common questions.
How Much Does It Cost to Renew My New York Pesticide Applicator License?
The total cost for renewing your pest control license depends on a few factors:
- Your license type
- The courses you choose
- Your renewal cycle
- The number of categories you need
For example, a commercial pesticide applicator/technician must pay a $450 recertification fee to the state, plus $150 for any additional certification categories. So, if you’re renewing your commercial license, it can cost $450 + the cost of our category CE bundle/courses.
Additionally, certified private applicators must pay a $25 state renewal fee.
What If My License Is Already Expired?
If you fail to complete your renewal CE and pay your state renewal fee within 90 days of your license expiration, then you must submit an additional six penalty credits in addition to your category’s requirements.
What About Reciprocal Pesticide Certification?
Reciprocal licenses are only for initial pesticide applicator applications from non-New York residents. New York state residents do not qualify for reciprocity.
Applicators with licenses from the following states can apply for a reciprocal license in New York:
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island